City of Downs utility billing payments for water and sewer are due on the 15th of every month. We offer multiple ways of payment to our customers. We accept check, cash, credit or debit card payments.
Automatic Payment - Payment can be automatically withdrawn from your bank account if you fill out a form in the office.
Kanpay - Payment can be made with debit or credit card or your bank account; this will add a fee with your payment.
Doxo - Payment can be made with debit or credit card or your bank account; this will add a fee with your payment, but free if you use your bank account.
Water Rates as of August 1, 2021
(based on gallons used)
First 2,500 gallons or less $33.00 (Minimum)
2,501 to 12,500 gallons $5.80 per 1,000 gallons
12,501 to 50,000 gallons $5.80 per 1,000 gallons
Over 50,000 gallons $5.80 per 1,000 gallons
Outside City Limits $21 additional
Monthly Rates $26.00 (flat rate)
$145 Inside City Limits
$140 Outside City Limits
RETURN CHECK/CHARGE CARD/ACH
This policy is to help guide City staff and the general public regarding the handling of insufficient funds payments, including, but not limited to checks, debt or credit card charges, and automated clearing house (ACH) transactions.
The following rules and procedures shall be used by staff when dealing with insufficient funds returned payments on any city related payments, specifically, utility, licenses or Court payments.
1) An insufficient funds return charge of $30 will be added to the amount due. If payment is made after the payment deadline the late fee will also be due and owing.
2) When the city becomes aware of the insufficient funds transaction, they will attempt to call the party. If they can not reach the party within 1 business day, they will mail, by certified mail, a notice of insufficient funds. This notice will state the date of return, reason for payment, the amount of payment, the addition of an insufficient funds fee of $30, the possibility of late fees and that payment must be made IN FULL AND BY CASH, MONEY ORDER OR CASHIERS CHECK.
3) A second insufficient funds return within a twelve (12) month period will receive the same insufficient funds charge and notice, above, and in the same manner. In addition, the account will be placed on a CASH, MONEY ORDER, OR CASHIERS CHECK only for the next twelve (12) months (e.g. “CASH ONLY”).
4) Once a customer has been placed on a “CASH ONLY” status, they WILL be placed on a “CASH ONLY” basis for ALL amounts owed to the city.
5) During the “CASH ONLY” time frame, any attempted payment by check, either by mail or by night drop will be returned, unprocessed.
6) After the twelve (12) month “CASH ONLY” the customer will be removed from “CASH ONLY” payments and can sign up for ACH payments or make payment by check.
Council Approved 5/6/2019